February 10, 2013

Hannah's WW #1 - with Upgraded Challenge

Hi Warriors! (Okay, I'm not gonna lie I stole this greeting from Zuzanna, who I am totally inspired by and I get my ideas for my workouts from. She does ZWOW on youtube. I follow her workouts. And I have tried creating my own combinations of exercises and they are just as good. I would consider Zuzanna my personal trainer, since I'm learning from her.)


Anyways, now for my first Warrior Workout you can either do a 30 min. AMRAP or you can complete 8 Rounds as fast as possible in good form for time (so how fast can you complete 8 rounds?):

NOTE: 1 round is going through the whole list of exercises once.

NOTE: 30 minute AMRAP means doing As Many Rounds As Possible in 30 minuties.

BUT FIRST Warm-up for 5-15 min (like 30 second intervals of easy jump rope, jogging, jumping jacks, butt kicks, high knee jogging, speed skaters, whatever)

WARM UP:
I jump rope without a rope, so it's imaginary.
Butt kicks = like jogging but your kicking your feet back/up toward your butt.
High Knee Jogging = Jog in place with your knees as high as you can
Speed Skaters (jump side to side like your racing on skates)
Speek Skater


WW#1 - 8 Rounds or 30 min AMRAP:
10 Pike Push-Ups (make an upside down V with your body in push-up position)
20 Plank Twists (knee to opposite elbow)
30 (each side...so a total of 60) Alternating Cross Punches
20 Squat Jacks (jumping jack with a squat as your legs come apart, you don't flap arms)
10 (Straight-Legged Hinging) Deadlifts (with books or anything to add weight to your hands)


HOW TO do the exercise:

10 Pike Push-Ups (aka Pike Press) ("go down as far as you can")



20 Plank Twists (alternate bringing knee as close to the opposite elbow as you can)





30 (each hand) Alternating Cross Punches (to imaginary opponents on your left and right)
[I get bored easily doing that so I mix it up and do 15 Cross Punches then 15 Jabs (each hand) OR I'll do 10 Cross Punches then 10 Jabs then 10 Cross Punches OR I'll do 10 Jabs to the stomach of my imaginary punching bag then 10 Cross Punches then 10 Jabs to the face  - Whatever combination of alternating right and left that you want to do. - No matter what it's a total of 30 punches each side.]


Punch as hard as you can, but don't overextend your reach that you strain your arm. Focus on twisting your abs in the cross punch, so you're working the muscles in your core and keep your abs tight.
 (Imagine that you are actually trying to knock someone out, you're not going to hit them nicely. Right?)



20 Squat Jacks (Your hands can be by your head, in front of you on the side of you - I tend to have my hands in front like the first picture of the girl in black)




10 Straight-Legged Hinging Deadlifts (use books or bottles or bags if you don't have dumbbells - anything to add weight and strengthen your hamstrings) (keep your back straight, abs tight, you're strengthening your hamstrings, which won't feel sore till the next day - at least that's the way of it for me).




For deadlift, you can do it a variety of ways, bending your legs as much as you want as you lower the weight or even just your hands to the ground, or you can keep your legs pretty straight with a tiny bend in the knees. If your back hurts when you bend don't bend so far (keep your back straight and abs tight that will help) or use lighter weights. The focus here, for me, is stretching the hamstring. You can do your own version (from a reliable source of instruction).

On Wednesday morning (Feb 6) I completed 8 Rounds in 31 min.
Can you beat my time? Or how many rounds can you do in 30 min.?

And remember don't DIE or in other words don't faint or get light-headed. PACE YOURSELF, but keep yourself challenged and breathing hard and your heart pumping.

And remember YOUR BODY DESERVES THIS - to be exercised, it will thank you for it, by making you feel better about the sweat. ;)




So when I did the WW#1 I accidentally added an exercise on Monday Feb 11.

Therefore I give you the BONUS/UPGRADE CHALLENGE: Instead of doing 20 Squat Jacks do 30 and then do 20 Plank Twists

So the the workout would look like this: WW#1 w/Upgrade - 8 Rounds or 30 min AMRAP:
10 Pike Push-Ups (make an upside down V with your body in push-up position)
20 Plank Twists (knee to opposite elbow)
30 (each side...so a total of 60) Alternating Cross Punches
30 Squat Jacks (jumping jack with a squat as your legs come apart, you don't flap arms)
20 Plank Twists
10 (Straight-Legged Hinging) Deadlifts (with books or anything to add weight to your hands)


On Mon Feb 11, I did 8 rounds in 43 min with the upgraded challenge (without the warm up's time, which I forgot to warm-up). So warm-up! It keeps your muscles and joints protected.

Can you beat my time? (Keeping in good form, even if you have to modify some of the exercises like me). ;)

I took super-super short breaks to catch my breath then kept going, even though I wanted to stop after round 4.

You can do it!




P.S. I also want to give credit to CrossFit people for being an inspiration as well.
Also NOTE I am not certified in anything, I'm just sharing what I do, because I can't afford to be certified right now, cause you know that costs money. ;) SO I do my own training and I invite you try my combinations and change it up and make it your too!

No comments:

Post a Comment