January 27, 2015

Jacked Up Wolverine Workout - Arms and Chest - Sunday

I was inspired by one of Hugh Jackman's Wolverine workout plans. He changes up his workout plans for each film to challenge himself in different ways. I do no remember which Wolverine film he was preparing for when he did this workout with the trainer, David Kingsbury.

"The Wolverine Workout Monday routine starts with a Chest & Arms workout, followed by 45 minutes of low-impact cardio on an empty stomach. The key is that do weightlifting and cardio before the first meal of the day to burn fat."

Here is the link to read the full article: http://www.popworkouts.com/hugh-jackman-workout-wolverine/
 



Now, in my version, I did not do it till the afternoon and I did it on Sunday, but that's ok. Also I turned the weight lifting section into a strengthening-cardio. Because I am going through all of the exercises in that circuit as fast as I can (in a slow and controlled way), while still keeping good form and only giving myself enough seconds of recovery between each exercise. Thus, upping the calorie torch.
After completely all those exercises, I rest and maybe do a little stretching and drink some water, and then do 4min of resting/cardio (I practiced Mixed Martial Arts. You could continue to rest). - This all equals 1 Set. 

Depending on your fitness level you could do more. I did 4 sets, cause that is what Hugh Jackman did and I believed I was fit enough to do so. Granted, after the 1st set I mentally wanted to be done, but I pushed myself, and then had the mentality of stubburn refusal to give up. Resulting to an accomplished feeling of getting my goals done.

I confess, the 2min rest was NOT enough though. Because, when I was trying to practice my Spinning Side Kick in the 4min following rest - boy was I sloppy! So if I want my technique to be good, I need to let my body recover more from the exertion. Next time, I'm tacking on 2-4 more minutes of rest before my 4min resting/cardio, which is completely optional for any level. Meaning you don't even have to do the 4 min cardio part between sets, just rest, stretch, drink, water, let your body recover, whatever.


Sunday Workout of Arm and Chest (and calves)

Warm-Up:
8min Tabata Jump Rope Warm-Up: 50sec Hard 10sec Rest (Do 8 Rounds)
1st Round - Jump Rope.                                5th Round - Jumping Jacks
2nd Round - Jump Rope.                               6th Round - Jack Squats
3rd Round - High Jump Rope.                       7th Round - Jump Rope 
4th Round - High Knee Jog Jump Rope        8th Round - Jump Rope (Arm-Switch)


Circuit 1a [Do 4 sets]:
10 reps Dumbbell Bench Press (30lbs)
10 reps Dumbbell Shoulder Press (15lbs)
10 reps Dumbbell Behind-the-Neck Press (15lbs)
5min Rest n Stretch (instead of 1min)
4min MMA (1st Side Kick, 2nd L. Spin Side Kick, 3rd R. Spin Side Kick, 4th Spin Side Kick both sides)

Circuit 1b [Do 3 sets]:
10 reps Cuban press (15lbs)
10 reps Dips 
12 reps Tricep Press (20lbs)
8 reps Lat Raises (10lbs)
8 reps Front Raises  (10lbs)
8 reps Rear Shoulder Flys  (15lbs)
8 reps Overhead Press  (15lbs)

4min Rounds (1st L. Spin Hook Kick; 2nd R. Spin Hook Kick)


Notice, I have already done 32 minutes of cardio (in the warm-up and between strength sets), and my goal is at least 45min, cause that is what Hugh Jackman did). But you don't have to do any cardio if you don't want to. You can just do the cardio between sets or no cardio between sets and do all 45 min of cardio after the strengthening portion - whatever works for you, whatever makes you happy and makes you feel accomplished.


Cardio For Sunday: 14min

7min Rounds (on each side) (build on if bored)
R. Hollow-Out to R. Hook punch to L. Cross Punch to R. Round Kick to R. Double Elbow Strike to L. Overhead Hammer Strike to L. Back Kick to L. Forearm Block to R. Uppercut (stomach)


10min Yoga n Stretch 


My Time (on Sunday, Jan. 25) was 79min. The strengthening circuits in total took me 55 minutes with the 2min rest and 4min MMA practice.




How-To:

Circuit 1a:

Dumbbell Bench Press (I lied on the floor)



Dumbbell Shoulder Press 



Dumbbell Behind-the-Neck Press (but I used dumbbells)



Side Kick - follow this link: http://youtu.be/S62icvCN6kM


 Spin Side Kick (don't do this if you've never done just the Side Kick. Perfect the Side Kick FIRST)
If you do have the Side Kick down, then Follow this tutorial: http://youtu.be/UjXVOuBDjU0




Circuit 1b:

Cuban press 





Dips (up n down)



Tricep Press (except I did on the floor)





Lat Raises 



Front Raises  



 Rear Shoulder Flys  (these are all examples of different ways this could be done)





Overhead Press 






Modified:
Lower the weights or up the weights

Beginners, I would recommend, cutting rounds in half. Or only doing one of the strenghtening circuits.
Or set a time limit (if you only have a certain amount of time to workout), like 20-32 minutes, more or less?




*Stretching is important, because helps you execute the exercises more fluidly.




At the end of this I feel great! Like a beast!

Ok, so I actually I felt tired and beat up, like I just got done fighting hard and came out victorious! But wanted to just relax and chill out. =D



No comments:

Post a Comment