March 31, 2015

A Remmington Pirates Book 1 Excerpt

A night Jacob is aboard Admiral Crazy Lou's docked ship at Portsmouth Point, Portsmouth, England in summer 1706:



     "They said it was a key. My mother said this was my inheritance. I didn't know what she meant, because it was just a ruby gem. But now I'm thinking there's treasure connected to that ruby necklace and this map. I don't know how,but I need to find out if this really is a dead end like ye say," said Jacob in his southern Irish accent.
     Lou was deep in thought, studying the tiny creases in his desk. It seemed like forever before he finally spoke. "Where'd you get the map?"
     Jacob's face lightened up. "It was my mother's. I hid it in a secret place on yer ship when we first met, where yez let me have a room to myself."
     "You've always had it? Why didn't you tell me about it?"
     "My mother told me to keep this map a secret. 'Dont trust anyone wit' it,' she said."
     "Oh! Can I see it?"
     "Aye." Jacob handed it to him.
     Lou pulled up a chair and pulled the candle closer to him. He examined the roughly sketched and faded map. He picked it up and looked at it from the back, above the light.
     Jacob watched him with puzzlement as to what the English pirate could possibly be looking for.
     Several minutes passed. Lou continued to analyze its texture and accurateness in distance to where it might be on an actual map by comparing it with one of his maps of Europe.
     "This is a copy." Lou looked up at Jacob finally.
     "How do yez know?"
     "The tale of this Ruby Treasure has been around for almost three-hundred years. Firstly, this paper is too modern. It's at least fifty years old. Secondly, the writing is as if someone was either in a hurry trying to get the sketch done or someone needed to practice writing more. It's too sloppy, and almost looks nervously done."
     Jacob was struck dumb.
     "And thirdly, this island," Lou pointed to Jacob's map, "is not on the map," he then pointed to his map of Europe.
     "But if it were, it would be right here," Jacob pointed to a sea-surrounded area on the map of Europe.
     "What did I tell you before?"
     "'For centuries it has driven people mad and brought them to naught but dead ends,' I know. But Captain Stone is threatening my life if I don't get him the ruby in three weeks."
     "Captain Stone?" Lou looked surprised. He sighed exasperatedly, scratching the top back part of his head. "So what do you think you need to do?"
     Jacob was slightly taken off guard by the question. He shook his head silently. Hopelessly. He then chuckled with a modest smirk. " I could just flee. Hope I don't get caught." He shrugged.
     Lou nodded. "Aye, don't let him control your life. I'll even help protect you if I can." It was Lou's turn to chuckle and smirk. "Maybe you could give him a fake?"
     "Like a replica?"
     "Exactly!" Lou pointed his pointer finger at Jacob with excitement. "Because, we don't have time for Captain Stone's nonsense. I have a lead for some abandoned treasure on an ancient Roman island, called Lupus Island."
     "Lupus Island?"
     "Aye. It was a popular trading post at one point and time...uh...around the year 900."
     "That doesn't sound so bad."
     "Well, except that it is heavily guarded by these giant wolves. Anyone who tries to stay on the island for long ends up wolf dinner. But those are just rumors. So why not investigate for ourselves?"

No comments:

Post a Comment