March 13, 2015

Friday's FRANTIC RESEARCH - Galleon ship facts

Writing a pirate book series I have to educate myself on sailing ships. And let me tell you, it ain't easy!

I have to learn what everything is and where everything is one the ship. I have to know what they're called, how they're used and when and when not to use.

I feel like I am learning to become a sailor, which makes me excited. Though I have a ways to go, it will be worth knowing for the purpose of making my Remmington Pirate book series more plausible. ;)



Today, I shall introduce you to the Galleon. A big ship. A powerful ship. A slow ship. A ship the enemies usually WANTED to avoid, because it had so many guns and men aboard to defend it. If pirates didn't have one of these, then they'd avoid those that did.



She was from the 16th-18th century.
She was 100-150 feet long, 40-50 feet wide.
Her forecastle (the front of the ship) was lower and longer in the hull.
She had toughest armour compared to other ships in her day.
She carried cargo or treasure (make her very tempting to pirates).
She had 2-3 decks.
She was typically armed with 70 guns (aka cannons).
She could have 200 men manning her.
Most had 3 masts - the forward mast (at the front of the ship) (which were square-rigged), 
                                the mizzen-mast (in the middle of the ship) (which were lateen-sails),
                                the on the high-rising bowspirit) (which was a small square sail)
       

Despite her overwhelming power, some pirates got lucky enough to overcome the galleon's standing and be the new owners of the galleon.


A Galleon is a nice ship, but the Ship-of-the-Line is better looking in my opinion. Because the Ship-of-the-Line just looks more normal and like your average pirate ship. I know it's very narrow-minded, but it's true! Now, my goal is to steer away from the narrow-mindedness and become more in tuned to the reality of sailors and pirates of the 17th-early 18th century (since that is when my Rwmmingtin Pirate book series is based.)

Therefore, stay tuned for next Friday's FRANTIC RESEARCH to be on the quick facts for the Ship-of-the-Line! Or maybe the facts will come on TALE of Tuesday's RESEARCH????

No comments:

Post a Comment