October 18, 2012

My Thin Buckwheat Pancakes

I wanted pancakes, so I made some for lunch. They were gluten free, corn free, dairy free, potato free and soy free.

I've been researching a TON of recipes for gluten, corn, soy, egg, dairy, and/or potato free. Because my body can't handle those things everyday, so I wanted to find recipes for almost any day.

(Plus I'm on a four-day food rotation, which means I can eat certain foods for 24 hours, and then avoid them for 72 hours - which is very hard to do if you like to cook and eat, like me. Am I alone?)

Anyways, I followed this one recipe that's basically the world's simplest pancake recipe with smallest call for ingredients I've ever seen. This is this person's recipe:
1 egg
1/2 pint milk
4 oz flour

That's it.
That's all the recipe had.

I was like perfect!
Oh and it said this recipe works with ANY flour.
Even more perfect!

Now I grew up with these amazing pancakes my mum made. They had vanilla and might have mashed bananas or apples in the mix. And they were fluffy to somewhat fluffy. (Like 2-3x more thicker than this person's simplest pancake recipe, because they looked very thin in their picture.)

So I made some changes to the recipe and I think it's safe to call it MY recipe, because this is what I did:

2 egg whites (I used egg white powder mixed with water...)
almost 1/2 pint Buckwheat flour
about 1/16 pint Amaranth flour
3-4 teaspoons vanilla extract (I'm guessing that's how much I used...because I just dumped.)
1-2 teaspoons baking powder (maybe even three...I once again just dumped)
3-5 Tablespoons Light Brown Sugar (packed) (I'm guessing, because I just dumped)
Milk (I just poured Vanilla Rice Milk till I liked the thinness/thickness of the batter)


They actually tasted quite good and very healthy. (I would say they tasted more like wheat than all-purpose flour, but if you know what buckwheat tastes like, then they definitely tasted like buckwheat. They taste fine without sugar, but if you're used to more of a regular pancake than you'll want some sugar or something to sweeten it up.)

Because at first there was no sugar or baking powder and boy were they thin and bland. Then I added some baking powder (I have no idea how much, I just dropped some on, guessing it to be on its way to a teaspoon). They then had ever so slightly more thickness, so I added more....and later some more, as well as sugar.)

I basically got to this recipe with gradual experimentation, adding ingredients in tiny bit by tiny bit.
I mean isn't that how they did it back in the old days? (Like, I'm thinking 16th, 17th, and 18th century, but surely even before that, but the late 17th to early 18th century is basically when my books are set in.) A time when did they not dump and guess and experiment with their ingredients?



At any rate, I forgot to take a picture, but this is about what they looked like...




Even my sister said that they tasted somewhat good, which is actually quite hard to get her to agree to like anything I make that's not made with all-purpose flour with gluten in it.

So I'm getting somewhere in the area of knowing what she likes. What her tastebuds like. ;)

2 comments: