September 11, 2012

I am in England

A lot of you may already know that I am studying abroad in England for 9 months, but if you did not know, well now you know. I'm in Worcester, England learning about their culture and seeking to learn history and language for my "Remmington Pirates Saga." ;)

So today I have learned that the word "mate" is not just used in the pirate world, but also for common Englishmen. I don't know how valid this random thought is, but England's "mate" seems similar to America's "dude."

Like I might say in America, "That is not a red wine, dude." But in England it would be better to say, "That is not a red wine, mate." And using "mate" actually does sound better and more...appropriate?

Though, it has been only my first official day in England, I cannot help that my thoughts are talking with an English accent. My speech is still American, but I've noticed that if I think what I want to say with an English accent in my head before I say it then it sounds a bit like an English person's accent.

I must admit, I feel insecure attempting the English accent, but it just takes practice afore it does not seem weird to use. Like my thoughts in my head are with an English accent, which is actually quite fun. I like it! It's a step in training my speech to have an English accent. ;)

Regardless, the English accented thoughts will be most helpful for my pirate series, "The Remmington Pirates Saga." ;)

Since I like posting pictures with my blog post, but I don't have any pictures that I took, because my camara is not ready for taking pictures yet, so here is a house in England somewhere, I do not remember where it's located, but it's cool...

I was thinking that this could be the model home farm of Jane and Alexandra Remmingtons father's place, because it was kind of close to what I had imagined in my head afore finding the picture. But I decided no, because Jane and Alex's father is richer than that, because they have two older brothers, one younger brother and sister. So that makes their father and mother, parents of six children, hence they would need at least 7 bedrooms, of course, now that I think about it, why not let them share?

Oh well! I could still and I might yet use this farm as a model for part of their place/farm.

17th c. Coombe Farm is surrounded by Valley Rock and Heritage Coast which has some of the highest cliffs.

The family used to and I think still do raise sheep. And they have family horses. And they have five bedrooms. They get their springwater from the cliffs.
So there you go! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment