October 26, 2012

Jane and Grandmamma in Book 1 Part 1 of 2...It was going to be part of the prologue

This scene was going to be in the prologue, but since discovering book one's main plot it will happen later in the book. (What can I say? It's part of the writing process to move things in or out and around.) ;)


    "I know what the thief looked like, m'lady, yes," said a soft, female voice.
     Nine and ten year old, Jane Remminton stopped abruptly outside of her Grandmother Remmington's cracked bedroom door and leaned against the wall next to it, listening.
      "So what did he look like," the older woman probed.
        Grandmamma! Jane recognized. What thief are they talking about? She peered through the cracked door trying not to budge it open more at the expense of getting caught. She could not see clearly, for the crack was so small. She was stuck with just hearing.
      The younger person - Jane figured to be the elder lady's servant - gulped then said softly, "He was strong and lean, with a short, but full goatee and moustache of hair. I don't remember, exactly ma'am. But I dare say he was handsome, even in hi..." she gulped again. "...in his array of dark and bright attire," said she hesitantly.
      "I see," said the older woman. "Do think he was a pirate?"
     "I, I think he was a..." the girl trailed off and gulped yet again.
     "A what?"
     "Yes, a pirate, m'lady," said she barey audible.
     "Why did you not tell me this the night it happened? Why now?"
      "I'm sorry, Madame, but I was so scared. He promised to come back and kill me if I said anything to anyone. And, well, he has not been back, so I'm hoping he's forgotten."
      "I see. Thank you." Grandmother Remmington was deep in thought, while her maid stood there with some nervousness. the older lady finally said, "You are dismissed."
      Immediately, Jane headed back in the direction she came, then changed her mind and pretended to nonchalantly walk to her grandmother's door. She lifted her hand to knock just as the servant swung the door open wider.
      "Miss Remmington!" The middle-aged servant jumped a little. "Excuse me." She bowed, stepping back to allow her to pass through. Jane acknowledged the servant with a nod, and then looked up at the elder Remmington, seeking permission to enter.
     "Jane, dear," the older lady smiled. "Do come in."
      "Thank you." Jane walked into the expensively furnished bedroom. She made a quick scan of the room. The big bed was heavy with bedding, unlit candles were on every wooden surface in the room, and a big Persian rug accented the room elegantly. The vanity against the wall with drawers held a mirror and on top of the flat surface was a big, wide hat.
      "What can I do for you? Are you well?" asked Lady Remmington.
    
(to be continued)


A maid...Grandma Remminton's maid.

No comments:

Post a Comment