October 22, 2012

Your Abs After All Are Central to Your Body

So I get these daily "Skinny Tips" from Bob Harper in my Email, and I thought I'd share some of them...

"Your spine strongly relies on your abdominal muscles for support. So strengthen your abs to help prevent future back problems!" (Bob Harper)

"The benefits of a strong core go beyond having a six-pack. Your abs are constantly in use because they are the key to good balance and posture. Because your abs are central to your body, nearly every workout move has a potential use for them. If you just focus on keeping your stomach tight and engaging your core during your workout, you will immediately notice a difference. So always be sure to use those muscles during your exercise so that you can get the most from your workout!" (Bob Harper)



Sailors and Pirates got strong abs and muscles by just working the sails and whatever else they to do.


Well, I certainly got motivated to do ab exercises!
I aimed for 30 reps in push-ups, plank twists, and leg-raises (lying on my back) or better yet, because I got bored with just moving my legs up and down I had my straight arms above my head and had my hands reach for my toes, as they met at the point of being pointed toward the ceiling. I call it the Pike Crunch. (And I think other professionals do too.)

I've noticed in my years of researching fitness stuff that there are so many different names for the same exercise. It's insane, but whatever. It's...I don't even know what it is.

Anyways, just trying to push my ab muscles to the point of exhaustion once a day feels GREAT! I've personally noticed a difference. Now my goal is to do so three times a day (Hmm...4-6 days a week?), but not just work that "six pack," outer, top-layer muscle that everyone can feel and see the easiest, I gotta work the inner, bottom layer (the one most responsible for balance and the hardest muscle to strengthen, because it's on the bottom layer. Correct me if I'm wrong. It is worked when doing ab exercises and anything you do, but is it really being challenged?

I think the best way to challenge that bottom, inner-most layer of the core muscles is to balance on one foot for as long as possible. And if that's too easy, close your eyes, read, bounce a basket ball, play catch, try a more wobbly surface to balance on. Challenge yourself!

The other core muscles I want to work on, are the side abs. (a.k.a the Obliques). My personal favorite are side plank lifts. Love 'em! I did like 16 reps my first time, but my goal is to get higher!

Another good one is Russian Twists, although I personally think they're pointless without holding onto weights, because I like to feel my muscles challenged. Because that's where the benefit comes from - the challenge.


Oh and I noticed that my lower back felt so much better a few hours after having worked my abs (once the abs had a little time to begin their longish process of repairing and rebuilding). So yes, what they say is true. Stronger abs, less back pain.

And another thing, when Bob talked about keeping your abs engaged during your workout (I did notice a difference, even in five minutes), well I tried it whilst I sat working on my computer (and not having worked out for a couple days), even right now I'm keeping my abs engaged (it's hard to not just let them relax!). But after doing that for, I don't even know how long, but for as long as possible (which is a long time), I noticed a slight difference and felt better for it. Psh! I felt like a better person! Haha!

But seriously, try to keep your abs engaged all day long! Okay, maybe not ALL day long, but humanly possible????


No comments:

Post a Comment