October 6, 2012

Jane, Alex, Marty, and...

The sun is shining, but the clouds look heavy.
           "Yes-" Miss Jane bumped into an old, short man, as she, Miss Marty and Miss Alex walked along the docks back to their waiting carriage. He looked slightly ragged. "Oh! I'm, I'm sorry. Please, do forgive me, sir." She finished with a little bow, clutching the bundle of clothes tighter to herself. She flet a little ridiculous at her inattentiveness to other citizens.
        "No, no, my apologies, Miss, said he with a gentle bass voice. He stepped back with a gracious grin. Instantaneously the man's face lit up with recognition. "Oh! It is you three! You are who I've been told to speak with."
         "What?" Alex, Marty and Jane exclaimed in unison.
         "Come! Come into my place." He motioned with his hand to follow, as he started walking past them with a limp that slowed him down a bit.
        "We," Jane strugled to reason politely. "We shouldn't. We don't know you."
      "Yes," added Alex quickly.
       The man stopped and faced them, saying, "No, no. I assure you."
       "I think you are mistaken, sir," said Jane more firmly.
       "No, no. I am not mistaken."
       "We really ought to be going," said Marty jovially. "Here, have a shilling." She walked to him, shoved a shilling into his rough hands, turned around and walked away.
       "Yes, goodbye." Alex smiled courteously, turning around as well.
       "But do you not wonder why the things in your life happen? And if you're meant to do something...extraordinary?" He called out. He held the coin out to them, before they got no more than a few feet away. "Even strange?"
       They stopped in their tracks, slowly turned around and looked at him suspiciously.
        "This is no mistake." He hobbled toward them. "At least this time I know it is no mistake." He gave the shilling back to Marty, saying gently, "So please, do come. I promise no harm." He turned around and ambled away with a controlled amused look.
       "Wait! Who told you to speak with us?" inquired Alex.



A model of what they might be wearing on this day...


The Old Man...



No comments:

Post a Comment