October 31, 2012

In My Writing For the Screen Class

I learned about structure today in Writing for the Screen class. I liked it alot. He said that Star Wars follows the "ideal" structure like perfectly and it's made the writer ALOT ALOT of money. "So if you write it like that, that could be you!" ;D

So now I WANT TO WATCH "Star Wars!" (Mostly the first 3 ever made...you know Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, and Leia. Am I spelling her name right?)




This class is helping me alot with understanding how to write a good story that gets people hooked.



Why are stories good?

Because we like to watch the character struggled and win and struggle and win and up and down and up and down and be transformed or have our own perspectives as well as that of other characters' perspective change toward the main character, like we understand why he or she acts the way they act or does the things they do. It's really good.


I find that I struggle with putting my characters through challenging situations that they have fight through, but when I do I somehow feel freer and more at peace with the whole thing, versus stressing over it sounding bad or lame or not good enough. The story seems tp move along like butter much more easily when a crisis or something happens to the main character, causing them to make a hard decision or simply ignore it.

Oh, by the way, we didn't actually focus on Star Wars the entire time, maybe 1% of the time. I just realized how much I miss watching Star Wars...brings back good childhood memories of watching it with my dad (and mum and sister). Which it is also my dad's birthday today! On Holloween???

Happy Birthday dad!!!






2 comments: